2018 Summer Camp
We have an exciting summer camp experience planned for our students! We want to continue STEAM education throughout the summer by introducing the theme of Biomimicry in fun and engaging ways!
Our program will include age-appropriate activities in engineering, veterinary science, visual arts, and so much more! We also integrate physical fitness activities like yoga, martial arts and tennis into our summer programming at no additional cost!
Don't miss out on this opportunity to cultivate your child's interest in science and the world around them through this one-of-a-kind summer experience!
Pre-K - 8th Grade
May 29th - July 27th
(Monday - Friday 7:30 AM - 2:30 PM)
Extended Care (Monday - Friday 2:30 PM - 6:30 PM)
The Hapeville Maker's Space
3578 South Fulton Avenue, Hapeville, GA 30354
$165 Weekly + $50 Extended Care
($40 one-time registration fee for new students)
Please contact us at 404-525-5561 for additional questions.
WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY LOOK LIKE?
A typical day is packed with fun, learning, and creativity from start to finish...
- (7:30am - 8:30am) Check In + Breakfast – As you check your child in, they will be greeted and welcomed with a healthy breakfast snack.
- (8:30am - 9:00am) Mindful Mornings – Before the day of STEAM kicks into gear, students can engage in character education or meditation and yoga exercises to center their minds in a calm and relaxed atmosphere.
- (9:00am - 11:00am) Morning STEAM Lab + Fitness Fun – During this time we will divide the students into groups based on grade level. While half our students dismiss into their morning STEAM Lab, the other half will engage in a fun fitness activity either outside or in the gym for an hour. Then they switch!
- (11:00am - 12:00pm) Lunch Break – We provide nutritious USDA certified afternoon lunch. Our lunch program is sponsored by the Child and Adult Food Program (CACFP). Parents are allowed to pack additional snacks for their children but are only allowed to be eaten during lunch or snack time without exception.
- (12:00pm - 2:00pm) Afternoon STEAM Lab + Fitness Fun – After lunch it will be time for another challenging STEAM Lab that will inspire your child’s imagination. As before, we will break the children into groups and switch them between an hour of STEAM lab and their fitness activity.
- (2:00pm - 2:30pm) Dismissal 1 – We will regroup with some well-deserved choice time while allotting time for afternoon pick-ups.
- (2:30pm - 3:00pm) Evening Snack – During this time we will provide a nutritious snack to keep young minds energized.
- (3:00pm - 5:00pm) Evening STEAM Lab + Fitness Fun – The final hours of STEAM challenges and fitness activities for the day.
- (5:00pm - 6:00pm) Choice Time – Students will wind down with their choice of activity (which may include a board game, movie or an arts & crafts project.)
- (6:00pm - 6:30pm) Dismissal 2 – This marks the end of a STEAM-filled day! Be prepared to hear about all the new and exciting things your child has learned in our Summer Camp!
WHAT IS BIOMIMICRY??
Biomimicry is the examination of nature, its models, systems, processes, and elements
to emulate or take inspiration from in order to solve human problems.
HOW WILL WE TEACH IT TO STUDENTS?
Through the exploration of superhero powers!
We will use superheroes to relate concepts of Biomimicry to our students. Many of their favorite heroes have special powers that have been adopted from unique animal traits. For example, Spiderman, Batman and Wolverine all use use their animalistic powers to solve problems and save the world. We can learn a great deal about Biomimicry through these exciting characters.
WHAT TYPE OF PROJECTS WILL MY CHILD WORK ON?
May 29th - June 1st
Students will learn about the fundamentals of Biomimicry while studying natural predators and searching for clues to solve a crime scene in nature.
June 4th - june 8th
WEARABLE Tech Design
Students will examine patterns and prints found in nature to create their own tech-infused superhero costume article.
june 11th - june 15th
Students will use water robotics and more to explore the lives of the ocean’s most mysterious creatures and solve critical superhero challenges surrounding our most precious resource - water.
june 18th - june 22nd
Robotics & Aeronautics
Students will be introduced to fundamental concepts of superhero aircraft and spacecraft design. They will create small scale drone/airplanes and work in teams to fly real Drones of various calibers.
june 25th - JUNE 29th
HEALTH & WELLNESS
Students will take health and vegan chef classes to learn about clean eating and wellness habits so they can be their healthiest and strongest superhero selves.
july 2nd - july 6th
** PLEASE NOTE THAT WE WILL NOT BE PROVIDING SUMMER CAMP DURING THE HOLIDAY WEEK OF JULY 2 - 6. **
july 9th - july 13th
Students will explore, compare, and contrast the biological functions of various animals. They will then translate those adaptations to create their own superhero animal sidekick.
july 16th - july 20th
Puppetry & Claymation
Students will design their own superhero characters and create puppet plays and video animations using stop motion techniques.
july 23rd - july 27th
Maker's fair week
During our last week students will have an opportunity to let loose with some fun relay activities. We will invite all parents to our to our end-of-camp party while showcasing the exciting projects they worked on all summer!